What is State Council?
The CTA State Council of
Education is the democratic arm of CTA. The Council votes on all legislation on which CTA takes a position - either for or
against. We meet four times a year in Los Angeles, spending nearly all of the weekend in committee or general sessions. The
members can select which committee he or she would like to join, and most of the time the request is honored. The committees
range from Special Education, Civil Rights in Education, Professional Rights and Responsibility, Safety, Language Acquisitions,
Representatives come from
a myriad of areas: Pre-K-12, higher education, County schools, school psychologists, nurses, etc. Our members represent all
ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, political leanings, and each member has an equal say at State Council.
State Council reps are elected
for three year terms, and cannot serve longer than nine consecutive years. The Council is a great place to learn and appreciate
the democratic process, to truly understand the workings of our State legislature.
Responsibilities of CTA State Council Representatives
· State Council Reps must attend State Council meetings 4 weekends per year. They
must be prepared to participate in the meetings of their committee and the action that is taking place on the floor of the
· Written and oral presentations of the information shared at State Council should
be prepared to share with the Executive Board and the Rep Council of AEA following each State Council meeting. Other reading
materials that come by mail and email between State Council meetings will also be communicated with the Rep Council at each
· State Council Reps are members of the Alcosta Service Center and are required to
attend Service Center Council meetings 4 times per year to prepare for the upcoming State Council meeting.
· State Council Reps are required to participate in Alcosta committees and events
such as the Alcosta Leadership Conference, the WHO Award, the School Board Breakfast, and others that may arise as needed.
· State Council Reps are members of AEA’s Executive Board and are required
to attend all Executive Board and Rep Council meetings.
· As members of the Executive Board, State Council Reps are responsible for participating
in AEA committees such as the PIC/ONE/ACO Teams.